Monday, August 23, 2010

What I Bought

So what did I buy at the quilt show? The answer is LOADS. Rachel wanted to see my hoard so here goes...

20100822-P1070081.jpg

Gosh it's a lot. I feel terribly guilty. I don't know what came over me. What am I going to do with it all? Where do I start?

There a few things that were just 'must have' things which I buy when I see them such as quilting needles which are really small so you can achieve smaller stitches. I lose them constantly and I throw them away the minute they don't slide through the layers or get bent. I bought chalk re-fills, pencil leads, a blue chalk pen and a blade for my cutter. I don't feel bad about that stuff. I needed it all. It's not essential, but I find I use it on most projects. It just makes my life easier.

So what else did I get?

20100822-P1070085.jpg
It's my birthday next month so my mum bought me some Amy Butler fat quarters and some dyed threads as I had been borrowing hers to quilt my latest project. I've never been a fan of these variegated threads before but I have changed my mind about them. I don't feel guilty about them as I didn't pay for them!

20100822-P1070086.jpg
These are a bit of a luxury as you can just make your own out of template plastic, but I am really into the idea of doing more applique and I have been thinking these would make life easier for a while. Now I have every circle size in the world! I have been really enjoying the circles I did on my first project and have been thinking I might do some more in the future.

20100822-P1070084.jpg
I just have no self-control when it comes to Kim's jelly rolls. I really want to make a soft quilt for a cold day. I have been toying with the idea of brushed cotton for a while. She had a beautiful quilt which I commented upon and suddenly she held out a roll and said that it was the fabric she'd used. I was sunk. It was kismet. I have an old brushed cotton sheet somewhere that I bought from Emmaus for a fiver which I could use for the backing. I do feel guilty about this. Happy, but guilty.

20100822-P1070087.jpg
I didn't mean to buy this. I had spent all my money. I was done. I blame Rachel. It was a complete impulse buy. I have sinned.

20100822-P1070088.jpg
I always buy something from Sunflower Fabrics, it's tradition. I was quite pleased I didn't spend all my money here as they are also at Chilford, but the Liberty material just called me. It's silly really as it's too thin and it's quite pricey AND I don't need it... but it's so preeedy.

God, as for the rest of the stuff, I just don't know. It's all just stuff.

Rachel set the rule though. If we haven't finished a project by Chilford, then we can't purchase a thing!

I'd better get my skates on.

7 comments:

Jess Wallis said...

Ooooh! Lots of lovely stuff. Where did you get the flowery fabric on the second to bottom picture? Or who is it by? I am making Mabel a cot bumper and I have been looking for some fabric, that would be perfect. It's lovely.

Anonymous said...

Jess the range is called Hunky Dory made my Moda. It's new so plenty of places have it. You can get it online at the Quilter's Wagon

Anonymous said...

This is the whole range. The one I have is 6053-11

You can get it from Etsy aswell

Jess Wallis said...

Thank you!

Pippa said...

Amy Butler fat quarters?! Jealous! That all looks so yummy. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with it. Great pics :)
How do you find out about about these art/craft fairs? I seem to be stuck in a pattern of finding out about them once they're over.

Anonymous said...

I find out about most fairs from my mum as she subscribes to magazines like Fabrications and they always have ads in them. There seem to be quite a few shows on every year. Birmingham, Sandown, Harrogate, and Alexandra palace all have major ones. Here's a list of some of them.

http://www.grosvenorshows.co.uk/
http://www.twistedthread.com/

I'm going to The Knitting And Stitching show at Ally Pally on October 9th next! Then Chilford. I do love the shows, they are very inspiring!

ray said...

You definitely need a sewing room with floor to ceiling shelving so you can store your stash in colour coded racking!